Richard S. Brovitz
At A Glance
Richard Brovitz is a Partner in the firm's Real Estate & Finance Department. His practice is focused on all aspects of business law including corporate law, commercial real estate, telecommunications law, as well as wealth and estate transition planning. Mr. Brovitz has an MS in Accounting which makes him uniquely qualified to handle business transactions with the ability to advise on both the legal and business aspects of the transactions.
Over the past 30 years, Mr. Brovitz has gained a wide range of experience and expertise representing entrepreneurs, lenders, and numerous companies in thousands of transactions. Prior to joining Woods Oviatt, Mr. Brovitz was Managing Principal of the firm Fix Spindelman Brovitz & Goldman PC
Syracuse University, B.S., magna cum laude; M.S., J.D., cum laude
State of New York
United States Tax Court
Key Representative Matters
- Commercial real estate practice has included multi-state transactions involving shopping centers, apartments, mobile home parks, RV parks, raw land, industrial facilities, self-storage facilities and a multitude of other types of real estate.
- Recent noteworthy real estate transactions include a $252 million acquisition of apartment communities across upstate New York; a $78 million dollar refinance of 12 properties located in eight different states; a $67 million sale of five RV Parks located in three states and a $41.5 million multi-state refinancing of multiple properties. He has represented clients purchasing distressed assets including over $100 million in defaulted notes and mortgages.
- Has represented startup companies and established businesses in a wide variety of legal issues, including raising $50 million in equity for a new business venture, to negotiating mergers and acquisitions. He is general outside counsel to numerous companies including one of the premier regional telecom companies. He is an expert in business agreements such as sophisticated operating agreements, shareholder agreements, consulting arrangements, offering memoranda, buy-sell agreements, etc.
- Broad business expertise and experience make Mr. Brovitz particularly well suited to handle family wealth transition planning for high net worth families owning businesses. He has assisted families having modest assets and a number of families having assets in excess of $100,000,000 with all aspects of estate, trust and wealth transition planning.
- Representation of lenders includes a variety of asset-based and commercial real estate transactions such as jet financing, complex mortgage financing involving Industrial Development Agencies, and corporate acquisition financing involving debt/equity instruments.
Monroe County Bar Association
Actively involved in a number of community organizations.