Brandon R. Cottrell
At A Glance
Brandon R. Cottrell is an Associate in the Firm's Real Estate Development and Finance Department. He concentrates his practice on real estate development, commercial leasing, commercial real estate transactions, banking and finance. He also has experience serving as bond counsel, issuer's counsel and underwriter's counsel in connection with private activity and general obligation bond financing.
Additionally, Mr. Cottrell has prior experience in corporate and tax law and has represented closely-held and tax-exempt entities in matters involving choice of entity, corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations, general contractual matters and in audits before the Internal Revenue Service and the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance.
Mr. Cottrell received his B.S. degree, cum laude, from the State University of New York at Geneseo and his J.D. degree, summa cum laude, from Syracuse University College of Law where he graduated first in his class.
- State University of New York at Geneseo, B.S. Accounting, cum laude
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
- New York
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. District Court of New York (Western District)
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court (Western District)
Key Representative Matters
- Served as Co-Bond Counsel for the issuance of $1,750,745,000 New York State Personal Income Tax Revenue Bonds (General Purpose)
- Served as Underwriters Counsel for the issuance of $19,080,000 Retirement Facilities First Mortgage Revenue Bond
- Served as Transaction Counsel in connection with industrial development agency sale-leaseback transactions involving charter schools, solar and wind energy facilities, manufacturing facilities, apartments and condominiums, assisted-living facilities, warehouses, office buildings, casinos, and retail facilities
- Represented an energy company in a multi-million dollar acquisition of a heating-oil and natural gas company
- Represented private developers in connection with projects involving the construction or redevelopment of hotels, regional shopping centers, office parks and medical office buildings
- Monroe County Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Order of the Coif
- Justinian Honor Society
- Syracuse Law Review – Editor
- 2015 Donald C. Alexander Writing Competition – Winner
- Syracuse University Scholastic Excellence Award (for highest scholastic achievement in graduating class)