Dennis B. Danella
At A Glance
Dennis B. Danella is a Partner in the Firm's Intellectual Property Practice Group. His national practice focuses on assisting clients in all areas of intellectual property law, including patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret, and domain name matters. He works closely with all of his clients ranging from start-up and emerging companies to large multinational corporations to protect and enforce their rights in a cost effective and efficient manner.
He is a registered Patent Attorney and has extensive experience in conducting patentability searches, as well as preparing and prosecuting patent applications before the U.S. Patent Office in the mechanical, electro-mechanical and software arts. Some exemplary areas that he has worked in include electric door locks, medical devices, digital image processing software, fuel cells, fuel injectors, wind power technology, water conservation techniques, waste water treatment processes, board games, and other types of software and consumer products. He also has experience in providing freedom-to-operate, patent infringement, and validity opinions, as well as due diligence analyses in commercial transactions. He works closely with foreign law firms throughout the world to assist clients with obtaining patent protection and enforcing their rights in foreign jurisdictions.
Dennis also has extensive experience in protecting trademark rights in product or service brands. He regularly conducts trademark searches and provides opinions on the availability of protection and potential risk of infringing third party rights.
He also represents authors, illustrators and photographers with securing copyright registrations, and negotiating licensing agreements to monetize their works. He also has experience in matters related to the infringement of copyrights.
His practice also includes preparing and negotiating intellectual property licensing agreements, and handling various types of domain name issues including matters before the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) under the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP).
Prior to joining the Firm, Mr. Danella was a partner at Jaeckle, Fleischmann & Mugel, LLP in its Rochester office, and an associate at Shook Hardy & Bacon LLP in its Kansas City, Missouri office.
- University of Kansas (J.D., 2000)
- Clarkson University (B.S., 1997) With Distinction
- United States Patent and Trademark Office (2000)
- New York
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States District Court for the Western District of New York
- United States District Court for the District of Arizona
Key Representative Matters
- Represented clients in procuring patent protection in a wide range of technical fields – CLICK HERE for a sample of representative issued U.S. patents.
- Represented clients in procuring trademark protection for their company brands – CLICK HERE for a sample representative registered U.S. trademarks.
- Represented clients in appeal and interference proceedings before the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences in the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Provided patent litigation support in the following exemplary federal court cases:
- Hanchett Entry Systems, Inc. v. Dormakaba Canada Inc. et al., 2-17-cv-03877 (D. Az. 2017)
- Kyntec Corporation v. ITT Enidine, Inc., 1:14-cv-271 (W.D.N.Y 2015);
- O.S. Security LLC v. John D. Brush & Co., Inc. d/b/a/ Sentry Group, SA, CV 14-00314 (C.D. Cal. 2014)
- Hanchett Entry Systems, Inc. v. Rutherford Controls Int'l Corp. et al., 2:12-cv-00919 (D. Az. 2012)
- Gradient Enterprises, Inc. v. Skype Technologies S.A et al., 10-cv-6712L (W.D.N.Y 2011)
- Precision Shooting v. Golden Eagle, et al., 8:00-cv-00450 (M.D. Fla. 2000)
- Rochester Intellectual Property Law Association
- International Trademark Association® (INTA)
- Meritas® Law Firms Worldwide
- Member of the Kansas Law Review and held judicial internships with the Supreme Court of New York and the United States District Court for the District of Kansas.
- Member of Tau Beta Pi and Chi Epsilon honor societies