Gordon S. Dickens
At A Glance
Gordon S. Dickens is a Partner in the firm and is the chairperson of the Labor and Employment Department, responsible for handling all labor and employment related issues. He is also a member of the firm's Family Wealth & Estate Planning Department and practices in the areas of estate planning, estate administration and estate litigation.
Brigham Young University J.D., Summa Cum Laude
Brigham Young University, B.A.
State of New York
Key Representative Matters
- Represented Harvard University, the Paul Klee Museum and the Sisson family in overturning a Will and recovering nearly 3 million dollars of artwork and other assets. (In re: Estate of Sisson)
- Represented the beneficiaries of a Will which was contested on the grounds of lack of testamentary capacity and undue influence because the decedent was suffering from brain cancer. Upheld the validity of the Will, resulting in the beneficiaries receiving their nearly 4 million dollar bequest. (In re: Estate of Malone)
- Represented a widow who was denied life insurance proceeds by her deceased husband's former employer. Recovered the insurance proceeds, plus interest and attorneys' fees, resulting in a recovery in excess of $250,000. (Matter of Klimbach)
- Member and past co-chair of the Disability, Labor and Employment Section of the Monroe County Bar Association
- Member of the Labor and Employment Section of the New York State Bar Association
- Member of the Trusts & Estates Sections of the New York State and Monroe County Bar Associations
- Named 2017 "Lawyer of the Year" by The Best Lawyers in America in Litigation - Trusts and Estates
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected a “Super Lawyer" in Employment and Labor Law.
- Named one of the “Best Lawyers" in Litigation for Trust and Estates.
- Frequent speaker on employment and labor law and estate planning and estate litigation topics.
- Past member of the Fairport/Perinton Chemical Use Advisory Council to promote a drug-free community and prevent alcohol and substance abuse.
- Active in the Boy Scouts of America, both as a former scoutmaster and committee member for Troop.
- Served in various leadership and volunteer positions for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
- Asset Protection Planning
- Business Succession Planning
- Education & School Law
- Employee Benefits/Executive Compensation
- Employment & Labor Litigation
- Employment & Non-Competition Agreements
- Employment Counseling and Compliance
- Estate & Trust Administration
- Estate & Trust Litigation
- Family Wealth Planning
- Immigration Law
- Pre/Post Nuptial Agreements
- Retirement Benefit Planning
- Union/Collective Bargaining
- Wage & Hour Litigation
- Workplace Safety/OSHA
- Direct: 585-987-2851
- Fax: 585-987-2951
- Woods Oviatt Gilman Labor Alert - Important New Changes to New York Labor Law
- 8-14-17 Twenty-Six Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named to "Best Lawyers in America"
- 8-18-2016 Five Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named "Lawyers of the Year" and Twenty-Six Attorneys Named to "Best Lawyers in America" List.
- 8-15-2016 Twenty-Four Woods Oviatt Gilman Attorneys Named to the 2016 Super Lawyers List
- 2016 Labor and Employment Update: Employers Beware! Navigating the Employment Minefield
- Twenty-Four Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named to "Best Lawyers in America" List.
- Thirteen Woods Oviatt Attorneys Are Included on the 2014 Upstate New York Super Lawyers List and Three Attorneys Are Named 2014 Upstate New York Rising Stars.