At a Glance
Greta K. Kolcon is a Partner in the firm's Litigation Department. She chairs the Environmental Law & Litigation Practice Group. Ms. Kolcon has served the Western New York community for 25 years as an experienced legal strategist, trial attorney, and risk manager in private practice representing public and private companies, government agencies, and individuals. Greta is a certified federal court mediator, and regularly provides mediation services.
- 2020 Recipient of the Rochester Business Journal's "Women of Excellence" award.
- An innovative program initiated by Greta called "The Promotion Project" developed for WBASNY received the "Outstanding Member Program Award" awarded by the National Conference of Women's Bar Associations, as well as the "Bar Leaders Innovation Award" in the large bar category from the New York State Bar Association.
- Named an "Outstanding Woman in Law" by Hofstra University Maurice A. Dean School of Law
- Recognized by the Rochester Business Journal as a "Leader in Law"
- Recipient of the Greater Rochester Association of Women Attorneys' (GRAWA) Crennel-Branch Award
- Recognized by the Rochester Business Journal as a "Forty Under 40" honoree
- Recognized by The Daily Record as one of Rochester's “Up and Coming Attorneys"
- Appellate Litigation
- Business Litigation
- Construction & Surety Law Litigation
- Cybersecurity and Data Privacy
- Education & School Law
- Employment & Labor Litigation
- Employment & Non-Competition Agreements
- Environmental Law & Litigation
- Securities & Shareholder Litigation
- Securities Arbitration
- Products Liability / Mass & Complex Torts
- Employee Benefits / Executive Compensation
Stetson University College of Law, J.D., cum laude, Stetson Law Review Member and teaching fellow
University of Michigan, Bachelor of Arts with distinction, Dual Concentrations in English and Theater & Drama
State of New York
Supreme Court of the United States
United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
United States District Court for the Northern, Eastern, Southern and Western Districts of New York
Key Representative Matters
- Successfully obtained dismissal of a highly complex products liability action stemming from serious laboratory accident for a national laboratory supervised by the Unites States Department of Energy conducting nuclear fusion energy research
- Regularly defend environmental contamination claims and prosecute responsible dischargers for one of the world’s leading integrated energy
Protect the interests of a state public transportation authority, including defending high value tort claims;
Resolved commercial breach of contract and product design litigation for complex advanced process and control enterprise serving the food and beverage industry
- Regularly defend employment discrimination claims and other workplace-related claims against employers.
- Defend and prosecute claims against fiduciaries of employee retirement plans, such as trustees and investment managers.
- Litigate enforcement of shareholder agreements in connection with buyouts and separations from business enterprise.
- Appointed to the Going Virtual Certificate Program Advisory Panel at Pace University-Lubin School of Business
- Immediate Past President of the Women's Bar Association of the State of New York (WBASNY)
- Past Co-Chair of the Environmental Law Committee of the Women's Bar Association of the State of New York (WBASNY)
- Past President of the Greater Rochester Association for Women Attorneys (GRAWA)
- Member of the Monroe County Bar Association
- Member of the New York State Bar Association
- Member of the Rochester Women's Network
- Past member of the Rochester Inns of Court
- Former trustee for the Historical Society of the Court of the State of New York.
Ms. Kolcon regularly serves as a featured speaker and faculty presenter at continuing legal education programs. She is a former Trustee for the Historical Society of the Courts of the State of New York. She is past Vice President and Council Member for the Lutheran Church of the Incarnate Word and is actively involved in a variety of local community organizations.
- 9-9-2020 Greta K. Kolcon, Esq. named a 2020 Women of Excellence Honoree by the Rochester Business Journal
- 3-8-2020 Woods Oviatt's Spring 2020 Newsletter
- 1-20-2020 Greta Kolcon named a "celebrity" of the Legal Profession by the Women's Bar Association of New York
- 1 -16-20 Greta K. Kolcon, Esq. will be a guest panelist for the NYSBA's Bar Leaders Best Practice Webinar
- 1-23-2020 Greta Kolcon, Esq. will be a featured speaker at the Monroe County Bar Association's CLE Program, "Ethics, Environmental Law and Client Interests: Dilemmas for Practitioners."
- 10-8- 2019 Greta K. Kolcon, Esq. receives the "Outstanding Member Program Award" from the National Conference of Women's Bar Associations
- 5-8-2019 The Women of Woods Oviatt named the 2019 Dress For Success Empowerment Award honorees by Dress for Success Rochester.
- 3-22 Woods Oviatt to Host 2019 Labor and Employment Update on May 2, 2019
- 2-8-2019 Greta K. Kolcon, Esq. to Receive Hofstra Law’s 2019 Outstanding Women in Law Award
- Woods Oviatt Gilman Labor Alert - Important New Changes to New York Labor Law
- Women's Bar Association of the State Of New York Installs Greta K. Kolcon, Esq. as President
- Greta K. Kolcon, Esq. will be a featured speaker at the NYSBA's Basics of Environmental Law 2018 Seminar in Buffalo April 18th, 2018.
- 6-22-2017 Woods Oviatt's Spring 2017 Newsletter
- 5-17-17 Women's Bar Association of New York Announces Installation of the 2017-2018 Officers. Greta K. Kolcon, Esq. of Woods Oviatt will be installed as President-Elect.
- 5-16-2017 NEW "FIRST-IN-THE-NATION" REGULATION: CYBERSECURITY REQUIREMENTS FOR FINANCIAL SERVICE COMPANIES
- 11-8-2016 Woods Oviatt's Fall 2016 Newsletter
- 11/14 & 11/16 Greta K. Kolcon to be present at NBI's Seminar - Human Resource Law from Start to Finish
- Greta Kolcon, Esq. Installed as Vice President of WBASNY.
- 2016 Labor and Employment Update: Employers Beware! Navigating the Employment Minefield
- Greta Kolcon to Present at "Cool Women/Hot Jobs" at Young Women's College Prep Charter School
- 11-12-15 As Seen in the Daily Record - Greta Kolcon of Woods Oviatt is interviewed regarding her involvement in WBASNY.
- Greta K. Kolcon, Esq. To speak at NBI's Employment Law Seminar in Rochester and Buffalo
- 10-14-2015 Greta K. Kolcon, Esq. to Speak at MCBA CLE presentation "Learning from Environmental Horror Stories."
- 8-24-15 New York Brownfield Law
- Legislation Watch: The Proposed "Microbead-Free Waters Act"
- Lake Shore Living & Coastal Erosion Permits