Lorisa D. LaRocca
At A Glance
Lorisa LaRocca is a Partner in the firm's Labor & Employment Department where she concentrates her practice in all areas of labor and employment counseling and litigation, as well as employment based immigration. She routinely counsels employers on all employment related matters, trains clients and their employees on how to properly handle harassment and discrimination related issues, counsels and represents clients in Division of Human Rights, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and Department of Labor investigations and audits, drafts and reviews employee handbooks, employment applications and other employment related policies.
Ms. LaRocca has also assisted clients in obtaining and renewing employment based visas, conducted client requested audits of their required immigration documentation and procedures, as well as counseled clients on various employment based immigration matters. In addition, she has developed a substantial practice handling estate litigation and Article 81 Guardianship matters.
State University of New York at Buffalo, B.A., J.D.
State of New York
United States District Courts for the Western and Northern Districts
United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
Key Representative Matters
- Works with local, national and international for-profit and not-for-profit business clients in drafting and implementing their employment policies, reviewing exempt and non-exempt classification issues, auditing payroll practice policies, assisting in conducting employee investigations and terminations and litigating employment matters, including but not limited to, enforcement of non-competition, non-solicitation and confidentiality agreements.
- Regularly represents clients in cases involving the New York State Division of Human Rights, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the State and Federal Departments of Labor, as well as other State and Federal agencies;
- Counsels clients regarding immigration related matters, including successfully obtaining employment based visas and addressing I-9 recordkeeping and documentation issues;
- Represents clients in both seeking and opposing Article 81 Guardianships;
- Represents many clients in estate related litigation, including successfully representing two national and international museums in obtaining over $1.5 million in artwork from an estate, as well as other Surrogate Court matters.
- Member of the Monroe County and New York State Bar Associations.
- Named a 2013 Top Woman in Law by The Daily Record
- Recognized in 2010 by the Rochester Women's Network as one of Rochester's “Up and Coming Businesswomen" and in 2008 as an “Up and Coming Attorney" in the Rochester area.
- Received UB Law's Robert J. Connelly Award for Excellence in Trial Technique.
- Authored a "Human Resource Audit Guide" on behalf of the firm.
- Past speaker for Monroe County Bar Association, Sterling Educational Services and Woods Oviatt sponsored client seminars as well as several other organizations.
- Selected for the Inaugural Class of Monroe County Bar Association's "REBL's"- Rochester's Emerging Bar Leaders.
- Immediate Past President, Board of Directors for the Women's Council, an affiliate of the Rochester Business Alliance
- Co- Chair of the Athena Award Committee of the Women's Council
- Past Chair of the Young Women of Distinction Committee of the Women's Council
- Past Director of Programming of the National Human Resources Association, Rochester Affiliate
- Chair of the Mentoring Committee of the University of Buffalo Law Alumni Association - Rochester Chapter.
- Member of the Board of Directors for the Rochester Children's Theater
- Member of UB Law's 125th Anniversary Committee
- Member of the Holy Cross School Advisory Committee
- Volunteer at Holy Cross Church
- Education & School Law
- Employment & Labor Litigation
- Employment & Non-Competition Agreements
- Employment Counseling and Compliance
- Estate & Trust Litigation
- Immigration Law
- Union/Collective Bargaining
- Wage & Hour Litigation
- Health Care
- Direct: 585-987-2834
- Fax: 585-987-2934
- Woods Oviatt Gilman Labor Alert - Important New Changes to New York Labor Law
- 3-9-18 Lorisa D. LaRocca, Esq. to speak on "Hot Topics in Employment Law" on May 23
- 2-8-17 Lorisa LaRocca, Esq. To Speak on EEOC and DHR Claims
- 2016 Labor and Employment Update: Employers Beware! Navigating the Employment Minefield
- 2-18-16 Lorisa LaRocca, Esq. to Speak on "Avoiding HR Pitfalls".
- Woods Oviatt Gilman LLP Offers 2015 HR Webinar Series
- PARTIAL REPEAL OF WAGE THEFT PREVENTION ACT REQUIREMENTS
- NLRB DECISION REQUIRES REVIEW OF HANDBOOK POLICIES REGARDING EMAIL USE
- Lorisa LaRocca, Esq. and Timothy Lyster, Esq. Named Recipients of the "Forty Under 40 Award"