Richard A. Marchese
At A Glance
Richard A. Marchese is a Partner in the firm's Elder Law and Health Care Practice Group responsible for handling all elder law and health care issues. He concentrates his practice in Medicaid and Estate planning, Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid eligibility and recovery matters, asset protection, issues of spousal support, and the use of trusts in Medicaid planning. Mr. Marchese also provides counsel to health care providers in matters of compliance with federal and state regulations, defense of government audits and investigations, voluntary self-disclosures, corporate compliance and professional licensure issues.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Marchese served for over fifteen years as Chief Counsel to the Monroe County, N.Y. Department of Social Services, advising the Chronic Care, Home Care and Adult Protective units at that agency. He was the director of the Monroe County Provider Fund, Waste and Abuse Demonstration Project, and he now represents Medicaid providers in matters of compliance with government regulations and defense against government audits.
- May 2017: Presented to MCBA a 2017 Medicaid and Elder Law Update
- April 2017: Presented to families with disabled children on the topic of special needs planning at Heritage Christian Services.
- March 2016: Presented to the Trusts and Estates Section of the MCBA on the topic of “Advanced Medicaid”
- April 2016: Guest lecturer at the Collaborative Law Association of the Rochester Area, Inc. on the topic of estate and long term care planning in difficult marital situations
- April 2015: New York State Bar Association CLE on drafting supplemental needs trusts.
- October, 2013: New York State Surrogate Court Clerk's Association Annual Conference on basic and complex Medicaid planning
- October, 2013: National Business Institute Seminar on Planning for Long Term Care
- August 2013: Monroe County Bar Association CLE on Article 81 and Supplemental Needs Trusts
- May, 2013: Estate Planning Council of Rochester on Medicaid Planning
- December, 2012: Monroe County Bar Association CLE on “The Effects of Lump Sum, Benefits on Public Benefit Recipients.
- August 2012: New York State Bar Association Annual Meeting on the topic of managed long term care and fair hearing rights.
- May 2012: New York State 7th Judicial District CLE Conference on long term health care planning.
- April 2012: Monroe County Bar Association on Medicaid 2012 update on eligibility rules, planning & estate recovery.
New York Law School, JD
State University of New York at Albany, BA
State of New York
United States District Court for the Western District of New York
- Member of the Monroe County and New York State Bar Associations and a member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc. (NAELA).
- Chair of the Elder Law Section of the Monroe County Bar Ass., Executive Committee member ( and Secretary) of the New York National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Executive Committee member of the Elder Law Section of the New York State Bar Ass., and committee member of the Estate Planning Council of Rochester.
- Carries an AV Preeminent rating with Martindale-Hubbell.
- Frequent speaker to the Elder Law Sections of the New York State and Monroe County Bar Associations, as well as the Estate Planning Council of Rochester
- Member of the Rochester Area Community Foundation Developmental Disabilities Giving Circle
- Member of the Advocacy Committee for the Greater Rochester Area Partnership for the Elderly
- Member of the Board of Directors for the Rochester Chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
- Member of the University of Rochester Planned Giving Council
- President of the Brighton Rotary Foundation and Past President of Brighton, NY Rotary Club
- Member of the Board of Directors for the Heritage Christian Foundation.
- Participated for many years in the Monroe County Bar Association's Lawyers for Learning Program.
- Attorney panel member of the Surrogate Decision-Making Committee of the New York State Commission on Quality Care.
- Elder Law/Long Term Health Care and Medicaid Planning
- Special Needs Planning
- Family Wealth Planning
- Health Care
- Direct: 585-987-2859
- Fax: 585-987-2959
- 9-20-17 As Seen in the Democrat and Chronicle - Riding the nursing home placement 'merry-go-round' by Richard A. Marchese, Esq.
- 4-29-17 Richard A. Marchese, Esq. to present on special needs planning at seminar for families with disabled children.
- 5-4-17 Richard Marchese, Esq. to present 2017 Medicaid and Elder Law update at CLE program.
- 6-28-17 Richard Marchese, Esq. to present CLE Program on responding to audits from the New York State Office of Medicaid Inspector General.
- 10-26-16 Richard A. Marchese, Esq. to Speak at St. Joseph's Neighborhood Center's Long Term Care Planning Program
- 8-15-2016 Twenty-Four Woods Oviatt Gilman Attorneys Named to the 2016 Super Lawyers List
- As Seen in The Rochester Business Journal "Re-evaluation Long-Care Insurance"
- 11-12-15 As Seen on WROC Channel 8 News - Richard Marchese, Esq. Discusses the VA's Aid and Attendance Benefits
- 8-13-15 As seen in the Democrat and Chronicle "Making a plan for an autistic child who will one day be on her own" Rick Marchese, Esq. discusses legal planning for families with children who have autism.
- 8-6-2015 Richard Marchese, Esq. will be featured presenter for CLE Webinar on Medicaid Estate Recovery Planning Techniques.
- Rick Marchese, Esq. will be a featured speaker at New York State Bar Association Program on Medicaid Planning
- Richard Marchese to be a featured speaker for NYSBA CLE on Utilizing Supplemental Needs Trusts for Persons with Disabilities.
- Richard Marchese, Esq. will be a featured speaker for the ABLE Act Seminars on June 6 and June 20, 2015
- An Elder Law Attorney's Perspective on Long Term Care Insurance.