James P. McElheny
James P. McElheny
- Direct: 585-987-2818
- Fax: 585-445-2318
At a Glance
James P. McElheny is the former Managing Partner of the firm and a member of the firm's Litigation Department. He concentrates his practice in personal injury and product liability defense, insurance coverage and risk management issues and condemnation. Jim is also a member of the firm's Management Committee which is responsible for general oversight and management of the firm.
- Named a 2018 ICON Honors Award Recipient. The ICON Honors awards recognize Greater Rochester Area business leaders over the age of 60 for their notable success and demonstration of strong leadership both within and outside of their chosen field.
- Named Leader in Law and Nathanial Award Winner by the Daily Record Newspaper for going “above and beyond the call of duty in the name of justice."
- Recipient of multiple New York State Bar Association's Empire Counsel Awards in recognition of outstanding achievement of free legal services to the poor and underprivileged
- Included in the current editions of "The Best Lawyers in America" and "Super Lawyers" lists.
- Frequent lecturer on personal injury and insurance law topics.
- Insurance Coverage & Risk Management
- Insurance Defense
Syracuse University Law School, J.D., Cum Laude
State University of New York at Brockport, B.A., Magna Cum Laude
State of New York
Key Representative Matters
- Represents major national and regional corporations, school districts, charitable organizations, universities, municipalities, insurance carriers and individuals across New York State in state and federal court, arbitrations and mediations.
- Represented a major university in wrestling, hockey, weightlifting and other personal injury cases.
- Represented a national camping organization in a lightning strike case that left an infant with permanent catastrophic injuries.
- Represented a school district in a quadriplegic case that resulted from a high school basketball game.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company on race sponsorship issues in a case that involved two fatal bicycle motor vehicle accidents.
Member of the New York State and Monroe County Bar Associations and the Defense Trial Lawyers Association of Greater Rochester, Inc.
- Member of the Board of Trustees for the Seneca Park Zoo Society.
- Active both locally and nationally in the Boy Scouts of America organization.
- Former Member of Board of Directors of the Monroe County Bar Association Foundation
- Member of the Board of Directors for Volunteer Legal Services Project of Monroe County, Inc.
- 8-15-2019 Twenty-five Woods Oviatt attorneys named to the Best Lawyers in America List.
- 8-14-19 35 Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named to the 2020 Super Lawyers List
- 10-31-18 Rochester Business Journal selected James P. McElheny, Esq. of Woods Oviatt Gilman LLP as a 2018 Icon Honors recipient.
- 8-14-17 Twenty-Six Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named to "Best Lawyers in America"
- 8-18-2016 Five Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named "Lawyers of the Year" and Twenty-Six Attorneys Named to "Best Lawyers in America" List.
- 8-15-2016 Twenty-Four Woods Oviatt Gilman Attorneys Named to the 2016 Super Lawyers List
- Twenty-Four Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named to "Best Lawyers in America" List.
- Thirteen Woods Oviatt Attorneys Are Included on the 2014 Upstate New York Super Lawyers List and Three Attorneys Are Named 2014 Upstate New York Rising Stars.
Practice Areas: Insurance Coverage & Risk Management • Insurance Defense