At a Glance
Betsy D. Brugg is a Partner in the firm's Real Estate and Finance Department. She represents clients in several practice areas, including real estate development and transactions, business, and estate planning. Ms. Brugg represents real estate developers, property owners, tenants/end users, and institutions in the zoning and governmental approval processes applicable to land use and real estate development and related matters. She has represented a broad spectrum of clients in the governmental approval processes for all types of uses, including affordable housing, student housing, senior housing, office parks, shopping centers, hotels, industrial uses, residential and mixed use developments, institutional and non-profit uses, medical, telecommunications, commercial and other types of development and land use matters. She has advised municipalities in municipal, zoning and land use law. Her practice includes representation in all aspects of real estate ownership, including the purchase and sale of property, negotiation of leases addressing environmental issues, financing, construction related issues, real property tax assessment grievances, and other real estate related matters.
Ms. Brugg practices in the area of estate planning, and in particular, advises families regarding the legal issues related to family members with special needs. She also represents businesses and business owners with respect to general business matters, contracts, and business transactions.
Prior to joining Woods Oviatt, Ms. Brugg was a Principal with Fix Spindelman Brovitz & Goldman PC.
Ms. Brugg was the recipient of the Villa of Hope 2019 Richard C. Palermo Quality Award for her outstanding efforts in allowing the organization to enhance its social service mission.
Ms. Brugg is also fluent in the Spanish language.
University of Rochester, B.A.
Georgetown University, J.D.
States of New York and Connecticut
U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- Member of the Monroe County and New York State Bar Associations.
- Member of the Greater Rochester Association for Women Attorneys.
- Speaker to professional and community groups in the areas of zoning and land use, real estate and business law, including Monroe County Bar Association, New York State Bar Association, and the Monroe County Department of Planning & Development.
- Vice President, Board of Directors of Autism Up (formerly known as UNYFEAT)
- Jewish Senior Life Board of Directors
- Heritage Christian Services Foundation Board of Directors
- Jewish Community Center Inclusion Advisory Board
- Numerous other community organizations
- 8-15-2019 Twenty-five Woods Oviatt attorneys named to the Best Lawyers in America List.
- 8-14-19 35 Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named to the 2020 Super Lawyers List
- 8-14-17 Twenty-Six Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named to "Best Lawyers in America"
- 8-18-2016 Five Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named "Lawyers of the Year" and Twenty-Six Attorneys Named to "Best Lawyers in America" List.
- 8-15-2016 Twenty-Four Woods Oviatt Gilman Attorneys Named to the 2016 Super Lawyers List
- Twenty-Four Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named to "Best Lawyers in America" List.