At a Glance
F. Michael Ostrander is a Partner in the firm and a member of the Litigation Department. He concentrates his practice in the areas of business, employment, intellectual property, and real estate litigation in both trial and appellate courts.
- Named a 2014 "Upstate New York Rising Star" by Super Lawyers magazine.
- Listed in the current edition of the "Best Lawyers in America."
University of Buffalo Law School, J.D., Articles Editor of the Buffalo Law Review
State University of New York College at Geneseo, B.A., Cum Laude
- State of New York
- United States District Court for the Western District of New York
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
Key Representative Matters
- Represented employee and new employer in successful defense of a former employer's attempt to enforce non-competition covenant and other restrictive covenants.
- Successfully represented departing LLC member in dispute with remaining LLC member regarding enforceability of restrictive covenants and allocation of business.
- Represented land owner in successful appeal of trial court’s imposition of a disputed easement upon her property.
- Counseled large local employer regarding potential employment of applicants subject to covenants not to compete and other restrictive covenants.
- Represented local company in successful prosecution of contractual payment rights and successful defense of counterclaims under an asset purchase agreement and employment agreements.
- Represented commercial property owner in the successful defense of action to specifically enforce contract for sale of commercial real property and successful prosecution of counterclaims.
- Represented commercial property owner in successful prosecution of payment rights under commercial lease agreement.
- Represented local lender in successful prosecution of contractual rights and successful defense of counterclaims under New York State Banking Law and various lending statutes.
- Represented trademark owner in the successful prosecution of trademark infringement claims.
- Member of the Monroe County and New York State Bar Associations.
- Member of the House/Finance Committee for the Monroe County Bar Association and Co-Chair of the Underwriting Sub-Committee.
Member of the Seneca Park Zoo Society Development Committee
Member of the Monroe Democratic Committee Lawyers Committee
Member of the Town of Irondequoit Audit Committee
Member of the Irondequoit Democratic Committee
- 8-15-2019 Twenty-five Woods Oviatt attorneys named to the Best Lawyers in America List.
- 8-14-19 35 Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named to the 2020 Super Lawyers List
- 6-20-18 As Seen in the Daily Record - Fourth Department – Easement: New York Land Development Corp v. Bennett
- 1-1-16 Sean Jensen, Ben Keller and Michael Ostrander Named Partners in the Firm
- Thirteen Woods Oviatt Attorneys Are Included on the 2014 Upstate New York Super Lawyers List and Three Attorneys Are Named 2014 Upstate New York Rising Stars.