At a Glance
Robert D. Hooks is a Partner in the firm where he is a member of the Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Financial Recovery and Construction Practice Groups. He has a broad-based business and commercial litigation practice, concentrating on complex commercial litigation matters, construction disputes, real estate issues, business contracts and debt recovery matters. In addition, Mr. Hooks has also represented numerous insureds in actions against insurance companies following their denial of coverage. Mr. Hooks has tried and obtained numerous jury verdicts at the state and federal level.
- Listed in the current edition of the "Best Lawyers in America" and "Super Lawyers" magazine.
- "AV" rating by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest honor in his field.
Albany Law School of Union University, J.D., Magna Cum Laude and Class Valedictorian
Harpur College, B.A.
State of New York
United States District Courts for the Northern and Western District of New York
Key Representative Matters
- Successfully prosecuted breach of contract and fraud claims against two prominent state banks (obtaining settlement in excess of $1 million each).
- Successfully represented a national telecommunications company in a warranty claim against the manufacturer of cell towers (obtaining settlement in excess of $700,000).
- Obtained an arbitration award in excess of $1 million dollars against the manufacturer of high speed trains in a breach of contract dispute.
- Successfully enjoined the world's largest retailer from expanding a store location in contravention of its lease.
- Successfully dismissed multiple homeowners' association actions against the builders/sponsors seeking damages in the millions.
- Litigated payment claims against several national surety companies in state and municipal construction projects.
- Defended national surety companies in payment claims involving state and municipal construction projects.
- Received substantial trial verdict against an architect for professional errors and omissions.
- Represented multiple school districts in construction disputes.
- Represented numerous manufacturers in business disputes with commercial suppliers, vendors and customers, both at common law and pursuant to the Uniform Commercial Code.
- Extensive real estate litigation experience (including adverse possession actions, boundary line disputes, commercial evictions, real estate purchases, actions for waste, partition, trespass, etc).
- Extensive construction litigation experience.
Member of the American and New York State Bar Associations.
- 8-15-2019 Twenty-five Woods Oviatt attorneys named to the Best Lawyers in America List.
- 8-14-19 35 Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named to the 2020 Super Lawyers List
- 8-14-17 Twenty-Six Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named to "Best Lawyers in America"
- 8-18-2016 Five Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named "Lawyers of the Year" and Twenty-Six Attorneys Named to "Best Lawyers in America" List.
- 8-15-2016 Twenty-Four Woods Oviatt Gilman Attorneys Named to the 2016 Super Lawyers List
- Twenty-Four Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named to "Best Lawyers in America" List.
- Thirteen Woods Oviatt Attorneys Are Included on the 2014 Upstate New York Super Lawyers List and Three Attorneys Are Named 2014 Upstate New York Rising Stars.