At a Glance
Tom Gilman is a Partner in the firm's Family Wealth & Estate Planning Department, where his practice is concentrated in estate planning, trust and estate administration, probate and estate tax law.
- Appears in the current edition of the "Best Lawyers in America."
- Named 2020 "Lawyer of the Year in Litigation - Trusts and Estates" by "Best Lawyers in America."
- Named a 2016 "Leader In Law" by The Daily Record.
- Has been selected since the year 2000 to be included within the listing of "The Best Lawyers in America".
- Listed in the current edition of "Super Lawyers" magazine for Estate & Probate law.
- Frequent lecturer and writer on estate planning topics.
- Asset Protection Planning
- Business Succession Planning
- Elder Law / Long Term Health Care and Medicaid Planning
- Estate & Trust Administration
- Estate & Trust Taxation
- Family Wealth Planning
- Florida Estate & Trust Practice
- Retirement Benefit Planning
- Special Needs Planning
- Charitable and Foundation Planning
Albany Law School, J.D.
University of Vermont, B.A.
States of New York and Florida
Key Representative Matters
- Assists clients with Family Limited Partnerships, Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts, Grantor Trusts, charitable giving arrangements including Charitable Remainder Trusts, and also Generation Skipping Tax planning.
- Advises a public foundation regarding its donors' estates and trusts.
- Advised Executors on the administration of substantial estates, including successful resolution of numerous estate tax audits.
- He and his father, John S. Gilman, and grandfather, Andrew L. Gilman, both deceased, have represented Rochester area families through multiple generations of estate, trust and tax planning.
Member of the Monroe County, New York and Florida Bar Associations.
Member of the Estate Planning Council of Rochester
- Chairs the United Way of Greater Rochester's Professional Advisors Committee.
- Chairman of the Board of Management of the YMCA Day Care Center at Lewis Street.
- Board of Trustees of Al Sigl Foundation
- Member of the Planned Giving Advisory Committee of Monroe Community College Foundation, and the Community Sponsors Committee of the Rochester Area Community Foundation.
- Received the McKnight Award in 2007 recognizing his years of pro bono work through the Volunteer Legal Services Project.
- 8-24-21 Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named to "Super Lawyers" list.
- 8-15-2019 Twenty-five Woods Oviatt attorneys named to the Best Lawyers in America List.
- 8-14-19 35 Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named to the 2020 Super Lawyers List
- 8-14-17 Twenty-Six Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named to "Best Lawyers in America"
- 6-22-2017 Woods Oviatt's Spring 2017 Newsletter
- 8-18-2016 Five Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named "Lawyers of the Year" and Twenty-Six Attorneys Named to "Best Lawyers in America" List.
- 8-15-2016 Twenty-Four Woods Oviatt Gilman Attorneys Named to the 2016 Super Lawyers List
- Should I Deed My Home to My Children?
- Is It Too Late To Plan?
- What To Do With The Body?
- Twenty-Four Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named to "Best Lawyers in America" List.
- Thirteen Woods Oviatt Attorneys Are Included on the 2014 Upstate New York Super Lawyers List and Three Attorneys Are Named 2014 Upstate New York Rising Stars.