At a Glance
John Nutter is a Partner in the Firm’s Labor and Employment and Litigation Departments. John’s labor and employment practice includes a focus on litigated matters relating to all aspects of the employment relationship, including claims involving discrimination, retaliation, state and federal employment statutes, and contract disputes. In this capacity, he regularly appears in matters before the New York State Division of Human Rights, the Department of Labor, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and in state and federal courts. John also counsels clients with respect to labor and employment issues, providing advice on issues such as discipline, employment policies, contracts and employee investigations.
John’s litigation practice focuses on real estate, commercial disputes and trusts and estates matters. His real estate litigation practice includes land use and zoning matters, contract disputes and the representation of real estate brokers and agents. In addition, John represents property owners and landlords in connection with disputes involving fair housing and discrimination laws. John also has represented professionals in connection with licensing disputes. His commercial litigation experience includes contract, securities and insurance coverage matters.
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" by New York Super Lawyer Magazine In 2013 & 2014
- Business Litigation
- Employment & Labor Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Employment & Non-Competition Agreements
- Employment Counseling and Compliance
- Estate & Trust Litigation
- Insurance Coverage & Risk Management
- Workplace Safety / OSHA
- Union / Collective Bargaining
- Cannabis Industry
- Affordable Housing & Community Development Practice Group
- University of Virginia, J.D.
- Vanderbilt University, B.A., Magna Cum Laude
- State of New York and Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- United States District Courts for the Western, Northern, Southern, Eastern Districts of New York and the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
Key Representative Matters
- Regularly obtains pre-hearing dismissals for clients facing complaints of employment and housing discrimination before the New York Division of Human Rights.
- Obtained dismissal of employment discrimination claims in U.S. Federal District Court.
- Successfully defended real estate brokers and agents in connection with claims arising in New York State Supreme Court and U.S. Federal District Court.
- Successfully prosecuted an appeal of a commercial foreclosure matter on behalf of the note holder involving property in Ontario County. Successfully defended fraud claims arising from the same matter.
- Obtained dismissal of Article 78 proceeding challenging a proposed residential subdivision in Monroe County.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of client in U.S. Federal District Court on claims of breach of software licensing agreement.
- Member of the New York State and Monroe County Bar Associations.
- Serves on the Litigation Council of the Monroe County Bar Association.
- Actively involved in youth sports, including coaching in the Brighton Little League and CYO.
- Serves on various committees of Asbury First Methodist Church.
- Supports various charitable organizations as a musician.
- 3-29-21 CLIENT ALERT - Requirement To Notify Tenants Of Right To Request Reasonable Accommodation
- 8-14-19 35 Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named to the 2020 Super Lawyers List
- 3-22 Woods Oviatt to Host 2019 Labor and Employment Update on May 2, 2019
- John C. Nutter, Esq. Elected as a Partner in Woods Oviatt Gilman LLP
- Woods Oviatt Gilman Labor Alert - Important New Changes to New York Labor Law
- 2016 Labor and Employment Update: Employers Beware! Navigating the Employment Minefield
- Thirteen Woods Oviatt Attorneys Are Included on the 2014 Upstate New York Super Lawyers List and Three Attorneys Are Named 2014 Upstate New York Rising Stars.