At a Glance
Katherine H. McGuire is a Partner in the firm and Chair of the Intellectual Property practice group. She has more than 28 years of experience as a Registered U.S. Patent Attorney and is a Partner in the firm's Business & Finance Department where she serves as Chair of the Intellectual Property Practice Group. Katie has extensive experience in all aspects of U.S. and foreign patent procurement, infringement and validity analysis, freedom-to-operate opinions, competitive surveillance and patent litigation. Katie’s practice further includes extensive experience in the trademark, trade dress, and copyright fields, as well as in transactional work including the negotiation and preparation of various types of Intellectual Property agreements including, for example, patent license agreements, trademark license agreements, trademark coexistence agreements, joint development agreements, confidentiality and consulting agreements.
Ms. McGuire is a regular speaker on various intellectual property topics and spent more than 10 years of her career as in-house patent counsel for Bausch & Lomb Incorporated. This extensive in-house experience provided Ms. McGuire with a keen understanding of how to develop a well-defined global patent strategy which is supported by responsible forecasting and budget setting for the intellectual property needs of a growing company.
- State University of New York at Binghamton,The Watson School of Engineering, (B.S., 1986)
- University of New Hampshire Law (J.D., 1989)
- United States Patent and Trademark Office (Patent Attorney Registration No. 33537)
- New York State
- United States District Courts for the Northern and Western Districts of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Member of the American Intellectual Property Law Association
- The Rochester Intellectual Property Law Association
- 10-29-21 Katie McGuire named to Power 20 Intellectual Property List
- 12-12-19 Katherine H. McGuire, Esq. was a featured speaker on "Damage Apportionment in Patent Infringement Cases: Practical Tips and Strategies Explored."
- 12-10-19 As seen in the Rochester Business Journal "Company valuables include often hard to define trade secrets."
- 4-16-2019 - Katherine McGuire, Esq. to Speak on Intellectual Property Damage Claims: Effective Valuation Techniques in 2019
- 8-1-18 Woods Oviatt named Top Winner for Best Overall Company to Work For and Best IP Firm by the Rochester Business Journal's "Reader Rankings Polls"
- 11-27-2017 Katherine H. McGuire, Esq., was a featured speaker at the Materials Research Society’s Fall meeting and Exhibit in Boston, MA.
- 10-17 Katherine McGuire, Esq. Will Be a Featured Speaker for "Significant IP Issues in Business Transactions in 2016" LIVE Webcast
- 10-21-15 Katherine McGuire, Esq. to Speak at UB's High-Tech CEL Program
- Woods Oviatt Client Named "Entrepreneur of the Week" by Launch NY