Katherine H. McGuire
Katherine H. McGuire
- Direct: 585-987-2920
- Fax: 585-362-4613
At a Glance
Katherine H. McGuire is a Partner in the firm's Business & Finance Department and serves as Chair of the Intellectual Property Practice Group. She has more than 32 years of experience as a Registered U.S. Patent Attorney with a strong background in the industrial, manufacturing and mechanical technology areas. Katie has extensive experience in all aspects of U.S. and foreign patent procurement, infringement and validity analysis, freedom-to-operate opinions, intellectual property licensing, competitive surveillance and patent and trademark litigation. Katie’s practice further includes extensive experience in negotiating and drafting complex cross-border transactional deals where intellectual property including world-wide patents, know-how, trade secrets, trademarks and copyrights, is an integral part.
Ms. McGuire spent more than 10 years of her career as in-house senior patent counsel for Bausch & Lomb Incorporated with a focus on protecting the company's industrial contact lens manufacturing processes. This extensive in-house experience provided Ms. McGuire with a keen understanding of how to develop a well-defined global patent strategy which is supported by responsible forecasting and budget setting for the intellectual property needs of a growing company.
- State University of New York at Binghamton,The Watson School of Engineering, (B.S., 1986)
- University of New Hampshire Law (J.D., 1989)
- United States Patent and Trademark Office (Patent Attorney Registration No. 33537)
- New York State
- United States District Courts for the Northern and Western Districts of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Member of the American Intellectual Property Law Association
- The Rochester Intellectual Property Law Association
- 10-29-21 Katie McGuire named to Power 20 Intellectual Property List
- 12-12-19 Katherine H. McGuire, Esq. was a featured speaker on "Damage Apportionment in Patent Infringement Cases: Practical Tips and Strategies Explored."
- 12-10-19 As seen in the Rochester Business Journal "Company valuables include often hard to define trade secrets."
- 4-16-2019 - Katherine McGuire, Esq. to Speak on Intellectual Property Damage Claims: Effective Valuation Techniques in 2019
- 8-1-18 Woods Oviatt named Top Winner for Best Overall Company to Work For and Best IP Firm by the Rochester Business Journal's "Reader Rankings Polls"
- 11-27-2017 Katherine H. McGuire, Esq., was a featured speaker at the Materials Research Society’s Fall meeting and Exhibit in Boston, MA.
- 10-17 Katherine McGuire, Esq. Will Be a Featured Speaker for "Significant IP Issues in Business Transactions in 2016" LIVE Webcast
- 10-21-15 Katherine McGuire, Esq. to Speak at UB's High-Tech CEL Program
- Woods Oviatt Client Named "Entrepreneur of the Week" by Launch NY