W. Stephen Tierney
W. Stephen Tierney
- Direct: 585-987-2839
- Fax: 585-445-2339
At a Glance
W. Stephen Tierney is a Partner in the firm and Chair of the Real Estate Development and Finance Group. He specializes in real estate development, real estate financing, asset-based financing, and commercial leasing.
- Listed in the current edition of the “Best Lawyers in America" as well as the current edition of "Super Lawyers" magazine.
- Ranked by Chambers annually.
- Commercial and Asset Based Lending
- Commercial Leasing
- Commercial Real Estate Development
- Commercial Real Estate Finance
- Commercial Real Estate Transactions
- Public Finance
- Title Insurance
- Qualified Opportunity Zone Tax Incentives
- Affordable Housing & Community Development Practice Group
Albany Law School of Union College, J.D.
St. John Fisher, B.A., Cum Laude
State of New York
Key Representative Matters
- Represented owner in acquisition and financing of multi-family housing portfolio containing over 1,000 units with separate self-storage and office; financed through regional lender bridge loan, taken out with permanent loan with Freddie Mac (non-recourse financing).
- Represented owner in acquisition and financing of multi-family housing portfolio containing over 1,100 units across multiple states, financed with national DUS lender as a portfolio bridge loan, bridging to HUD permanent financing (non-recourse financing) once tax credits for improvements are approved.
- Represented owner in obtaining $50,000,000 construction financing for condominium/hotel project in the Upstate New York Finger Lakes Region.
- Represented owner in all aspects of development of national brand hotel project, including preparation and negotiation of purchase and sale agreement, franchise agreement, obtaining of entitlements, obtaining of local industrial development agency benefits, obtaining of construction and permanent loan financing, and negotiation of AIA construction documents.
- Represented owner in sale of $300,000,000 Upstate and Central New York multi-family housing portfolio.
- Tenant representation in negotiation and execution of lease for design/build of over 250,000 square feet of office/flex space.
- Bond counsel for municipality.
- Representation of regional lenders in real estate and asset-based transactions involving construction/permanent mortgage loans, mezzanine, subordinate, acquisition and bond financing.
- Member of the Real Estate Section of the New York State and Monroe County Bar Associations,
- Former Co-Chair of the Commercial Leasing and Litigation Committee of the Real Property Law Section of the New York State Bar Association.
- Former Member of the Board of Directors of the Volunteers of America of Western New York
- Former member of the Board of Trustees of the Rochester Museum and Science Center,
- Former member of the Board of Trustees of the Monroe County Bar Association
- W. Stephen Tierney, Esq. named to the Daily Record's Power 20 list for Real Estate.
- 8-19-21 - Thirty-One Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named to the 2022 Best Lawyers in America List.
- 12-11-20 - As seen in the Rochester Business Journal - Commercial Real Estate Industry Fearful of Biden Tax Plan
- 3-19-20 Woods Oviatt Gilman Creates a Multidisciplinary Crisis Resource Group
- 8-15-2019 Twenty-five Woods Oviatt attorneys named to the Best Lawyers in America List.
- 8-14-19 35 Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named to the 2020 Super Lawyers List
- 8-14-17 Twenty-Six Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named to "Best Lawyers in America"
- 8-18-2016 Five Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named "Lawyers of the Year" and Twenty-Six Attorneys Named to "Best Lawyers in America" List.
- 8-15-2016 Twenty-Four Woods Oviatt Gilman Attorneys Named to the 2016 Super Lawyers List
- Thirteen Woods Oviatt Attorneys Are Included on the 2014 Upstate New York Super Lawyers List and Three Attorneys Are Named 2014 Upstate New York Rising Stars.
Practice Areas: Commercial and Asset Based Lending • Commercial Leasing • Commercial Real Estate Development • Commercial Real Estate Finance • Commercial Real Estate Transactions • Public Finance • Title Insurance • Qualified Opportunity Zone Tax Incentives • Affordable Housing & Community Development Practice Group