At a Glance
W. Stephen Tierney is a Partner in the firm and Chair of the Real Estate Development and Finance Group. He specializes in real estate development, real estate financing, asset-based financing, and commercial leasing.
Albany Law School of Union College, J.D.
St. John Fisher, B.A., Cum Laude
State of New York
Key Representative Matters
- Representation of commercial developers in all aspects of development, including preparation and negotiation of AIA construction documents, preparation and negotiation of acquisition documents and negotiation of finance documents.
- Representation of commercial developers throughout New York State in obtaining all municipal approvals for development, including annexations, re-zonings, variances and special permits.
- Represented owner in acquisition, development and leasing of 1,000,000 square foot commercial/industrial project.
- Assisted owner in sale/leaseback/development of industrial project including financing of $93,000,000.00.
- Represented owner in sale of $300,000,000.00 upstate and central New York multi-family housing portfolio.
- Representation of commercial lenders in real estate and asset-based transactions involving construction/permanent mortgage loans, mezzanine, subordinate and acquisition financing.
- Representation of commercial lender in issuance of credit enhancements on $35,000,000.00 financing for local development company's acquisition of bond financed information technology infrastructure.
- Representation of commercial lenders in Fannie Mae DUS mortgage loans.
- Member of the Real Estate Section of the New York State and Monroe County Bar Associations,
- Former Co-Chair of the Commercial Leasing and Litigation Committee of the Real Property Law Section of the New York State Bar Association.
Listed in the current edition of the “Best Lawyers in America" as well as the current edition of "Super Lawyers" magazine.
- Former Member of the Board of Directors of the Volunteers of America of Western New York
- Former member of the Board of Trustees of the Rochester Museum and Science Center,
- Former member of the Board of Trustees of the Monroe County Bar Association
- 8-14-17 Twenty-Six Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named to "Best Lawyers in America"
- 8-18-2016 Five Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named "Lawyers of the Year" and Twenty-Six Attorneys Named to "Best Lawyers in America" List.
- 8-15-2016 Twenty-Four Woods Oviatt Gilman Attorneys Named to the 2016 Super Lawyers List
- Thirteen Woods Oviatt Attorneys Are Included on the 2014 Upstate New York Super Lawyers List and Three Attorneys Are Named 2014 Upstate New York Rising Stars.