At a Glance
William G. Bauer is a Partner in the firm's Labor & Employment and Litigation Departments, and he is Chair of the Litigation Department. He concentrates his practice in general business and civil litigation, including corporate/partnership disputes, employment law, intellectual property, securities and federal court litigation. He is also active in court-sponsored and private alternate dispute resolution, including arbitration and mediation. He has conducted over 75 mediations under the ADR plans for Western and North Districts.
Mr. Bauer rejoined the firm in February 2003 after serving four years as a United States Magistrate Judge for the Western District of New York. As a United States Magistrate Judge, he presided over pre-trial proceedings in civil and criminal cases. He was also extensively involved in pre-trial settlement and mediation. Prior to taking the bench, Mr. Bauer had considerable trial experience in both state and federal court and handled appeals before the New York State Appellate Courts and the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- Appears in the current editions of "The Best Lawyers in America" and "Super Lawyers."
- Named Lawyer of the Year for Litigation- Mergers and Acquisitions in Rochester in 2021 by "Best Lawyers in America."
- Has lectured frequently on matters regarding ADR and federal court practice
Albany Law School of Union University, J.D.
State University of New York at Brockport, B.S., magna cum laude
Served as a confidential Law Clerk for the Honorable Michael A. Telesca, Senior United States District Court Judge for the Western District of New York.
State of New York United States District Courts for the Western & Northern Districts of New York United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Member of the Monroe County Bar Association
- Monroe County Bar Association Board of Trustees 2015-17
- Monroe County Bar Foundation Board 2018-2019, President Elect for 2020
- Member of the New York State Bar Association
- Board of Directors for Generation 2 - Vice Chairman
- 8-15-2019 Twenty-five Woods Oviatt attorneys named to the Best Lawyers in America List.
- 8-14-19 35 Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named to the 2020 Super Lawyers List
- Woods Oviatt Gilman Labor Alert - Important New Changes to New York Labor Law
- 8-14-17 Twenty-Six Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named to "Best Lawyers in America"
- 2-1-17 As Seen on 13WHAM - Bill Bauer interviewed on President Trump's Supreme Court Nominee and the Impact it Could Have on Landmark Decisions
- 8-18-2016 Five Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named "Lawyers of the Year" and Twenty-Six Attorneys Named to "Best Lawyers in America" List.
- 8-15-2016 Twenty-Four Woods Oviatt Gilman Attorneys Named to the 2016 Super Lawyers List
- 6-20-16 As Seen in the Rochester Business Journal - "Small Businesses Benefit from Effective Mediation". Bill Bauer, Esq. discusses small businesses using mediation to resolve disputes.
- Twenty-Four Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named to "Best Lawyers in America" List.
- Thirteen Woods Oviatt Attorneys Are Included on the 2014 Upstate New York Super Lawyers List and Three Attorneys Are Named 2014 Upstate New York Rising Stars.