At a Glance
John F. Liebschutz is a Partner in the firm's Business, Tax and Finance Department. With knowledge and judgment that comes from over 40 years in practice, he concentrates in the representation of small to medium size businesses, health care providers, wineries, business owners, charities and non-profits. His clients include physicians, health care providers and other licensed professional needing counsel in connection with licensing and disciplinary matters and peer review proceedings. He has handled numerous commercial transactions including business acquisitions and sales, commercial agreements, loan transactions, succession planning, business and non-profit disputes, regulatory proceedings and real estate acquisition and development. With a background in commercial litigation, he has been counsel for complex estate administrations, litigation matters and professional disciplinary investigations. He is a past chair of the Monroe County Bar Association Ethics Committee and Real Estate Section.
Prior to joining Woods Oviatt in 2005, he was a Partner at Shapiro, Rosenbaum, Liebschutz and Nelson LLP.
Albany Law School, J.D.
Colgate University, B.B.A
State of New York
Key Representative Matters
- Represented family owned commercial winery in facility acquisition and licensing matters and commercial production agreements;
- Represented restaurant franchisee in multi-store acquisition and financing;
- Represented the Receiver in Dissolution of a large urban hospital;
- Represented a 12-member multi-specialty practice group in a sale of the practice to a hospital-owned medical group;
- Obtained restoration of hospital privileges for a physician who had been summarily suspended; Successfully defended OPMC investigation arising from suspension;
- Represented owner in sale of an Adirondack Great Camp; Worked with buyer and preservationists to maintain historical character
- Representation of Nursing Home Operators in sale of nursing homes;
- Representation of seller of physician-owned Dialysis Center
- Member of the Monroe County and New York State Bar Associations.
- American Health Lawyers Association.
- Panelist for the New York State Bar Association's 2011 seminar on legal ethics entitled “Avoiding Ethical Dilemmas in Day to Day Practice".
- Panelist for several Monroe County Bar Association Seminars
- Presentations to the New York State Society of Professional Engineers on professional responsibility and licensing matters
- Trustee of the Max Adler Charitable Foundation
- Past President of the Jewish Community Center.
- Participates in a number of community and civic organizations.