At a Glance
Lorisa LaRocca is a Partner and chairperson of the firm's Labor & Employment Department. In this capacity Lorisa concentrates her practice in all areas of labor and employment counseling and litigation. She routinely counsels organizations on all employment related matters, conducts employer trainings, represents clients in Division of Human Rights, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and Department of Labor investigations, audits, drafts and reviews employee handbooks, employment contracts and other employment related policies, and provides guidance to business clients on HR best practices. Lorisa has also developed a niche representing physicians in negotiations of their employment agreements and practice purchases.
In addition to her labor practice, Lorisa has developed a substantial estate litigation practice, as well as contested and uncontested Article 81 Guardianship matters. She also manages a growing estate planning practice, which includes a focus on pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements, traditional and non-traditional planning options.
- Named a Top Woman in Law by The Daily Record
- Recognized by the Rochester Women's Network as one of Rochester's “Up and Coming Businesswomen" and as an “Up and Coming Attorney" in the Rochester area.
- Named a "Forty Under 40" recipient by the Rochester Business Journal.
- Received UB Law's Robert J. Connelly Award for Excellence in Trial Technique.
- Authored a "Human Resource Audit Guide" on behalf of the firm.
- Past speaker for Monroe County Bar Association, Sterling Educational Services and Woods Oviatt sponsored client seminars as well as several other organizations.
- Selected for the Inaugural Class of Monroe County Bar Association's "REBL's"- Rochester's Emerging Bar Leaders.
- Employment & Labor Litigation
- Employment & Non-Competition Agreements
- Employment Counseling and Compliance
- Estate & Trust Litigation
- Union / Collective Bargaining
- Wage & Hour Litigation
- Health Care
- Elder Law / Long Term Health Care and Medicaid Planning
- Special Needs Planning
- Asset Protection Planning
- Estate & Trust Administration
- Family Wealth Planning
- Retirement Benefit Planning
- Workplace Safety / OSHA
State University of New York at Buffalo, B.A., J.D.
State of New York
United States District Courts for the Western and Northern Districts
United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
Key Representative Matters
- Works with local, national and international for-profit and not-for-profit business clients in drafting and implementing their employment policies, reviewing exempt and non-exempt classification issues, auditing payroll practice policies, assisting in conducting employee investigations and terminations and litigating employment matters, including but not limited to, enforcement of non-competition, non-solicitation and confidentiality agreements.
- Regularly represents clients in cases involving the New York State Division of Human Rights, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the State and Federal Departments of Labor, as well as other State and Federal agencies.
- Represents clients in both seeking and opposing Article 81 Guardianships.
- Successfully represented a widow at the United States Court for the Second Circuit of Appeals in securing ERISA benefits from the decedents former employer.
- Represents many clients in estate related litigation, including successfully representing two national and international museums in obtaining over $1.5 million in artwork from an estate, as well as other Surrogate Court matters.
- Maintains a a growing estate planning practice, which includes a focus on pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements, traditional and non-traditional planning options.
- Member of the Monroe County and New York State Bar Associations.
- Past President, Board of Directors for the Women's Council, an affiliate of the Rochester Business Alliance
- Former Chair of the Athena Award Committee and the Young Women of Distinction Committee of the Women's Council
- Member of the Board of Directors of Children Awaiting Parents
- Past Director of Programming of the National Human Resources Association, Rochester Affiliate
- Member of Holy Cross School Advisory Committee
- Member of UB Law's 125th Anniversary Committee
- Youth soccer coach, Holy Cross School: COBRAS Futbol Club
- 9-29-21 AS seen on 13WHAM TV - Lorisa LaRocca, Esq. discusses COVID Vaccine Religious Exemptions
- 9-9-21 COVID-19 Client Alert NYS HERO ACT EMPLOYER OBLIGATIONS TRIGGERED
- 8-19-21 - Thirty-One Woods Oviatt Attorneys Named to the 2022 Best Lawyers in America List.
- 7-15-21 Lorisa D. LaRocca, Esq. will be a featured panelist for The Rochester Business Journal's Labor and Employment Webinar
- 6-17-2021 Client Alert -NYS HERO ACT AMENDMENTS
- 5-10-21 New York Is The First In The Nation To Enact The HERO Act
- 5/20/21 Lorisa LaRocca to present at Rochster Chamber of Commerce's "CannaBusiness: Walk The Line: An Employer’s Guide to Reasonable Suspicion Testing"
- 4-9-21 COBRA Subsidy
- 4-8-21 NYS Cannabis Legalization: Impact on Employers
- 3-15-21 Client Alert - New York State Enacts Paid COVID Vaccination Leave
- 2-4-2021 Significant Changes to the Unemployment Law Impacting Employers
- 1-25-21 Client Alert -Updated COVID Sick Leave Guidance
- 9-24-20 As seen in the Daily Record - Lorisa D. LaRocca, Esq. featured in Legal experts weigh in on hiring issues post-pandemic, Employers must tread carefully to avoid violating EEOC guidelines
- Webinar: Ready To Bring All "Sanitized” Hands Back On Deck?
- 5-1-20 As seen in the Rochester Business Journal - Local attorneys weigh in on force majeure clauses, employment during COVID-19
- 4-15-20 COVID-19 HR Update Webinar recording available on demand
- 4-7-20 Lorisa LaRocca will be featured presenter for the Chamber Counsel's webinar on 4/15: SBA 7(a) Loan Program – Paycheck Protection Program Loan
- 4-2-20 Chris Henrich and Lorisa LaRocca Participate in Virtual Roundtable: How CEOs and Boards Can Work with Lenders During Unprecedented Dislocation -Webinar Recording available
- 3-19-20 Woods Oviatt Gilman Creates a Multidisciplinary Crisis Resource Group
- 1-22-2020 Woods Oviatt to host Webinar with St. John Fisher College - "Marriage is Serious Business"
- 5-8-2019 The Women of Woods Oviatt named the 2019 Dress For Success Empowerment Award honorees by Dress for Success Rochester.
- 4-10-19 Lorisa LaRocca, Esq. to speak at ATHENA Leadership Roundtable: Building Your Briefcase
- 3-22 Woods Oviatt to Host 2019 Labor and Employment Update on May 2, 2019
- Woods Oviatt Gilman Labor Alert - Important New Changes to New York Labor Law
- 3-9-18 Lorisa D. LaRocca, Esq. to speak on "Hot Topics in Employment Law" on May 23
- 2-8-17 Lorisa LaRocca, Esq. To Speak on EEOC and DHR Claims
- 2016 Labor and Employment Update: Employers Beware! Navigating the Employment Minefield
- 2-18-16 Lorisa LaRocca, Esq. to Speak on "Avoiding HR Pitfalls".
- Woods Oviatt Gilman LLP Offers 2015 HR Webinar Series
- PARTIAL REPEAL OF WAGE THEFT PREVENTION ACT REQUIREMENTS
- NLRB DECISION REQUIRES REVIEW OF HANDBOOK POLICIES REGARDING EMAIL USE
- Lorisa LaRocca, Esq. and Timothy Lyster, Esq. Named Recipients of the "Forty Under 40 Award"